2.23.2009

It's Bubble Time

Dennis Hopper directed it. I graduated from high school the year it was released. An experienced cop and his rookie partner patrol the streets of East L.A. He was 28 and played Dennis McGavin. Know him yet? I offer a final clue for those who still don't have one: one of his famous partners was Madonna. Ah. Now you have it. Sean Penn. I do not know if it was astrological convergence or some random situation that caused me to watch the movie Colors during the Oscars last night.

One of the great DVR pleasures is time. Time without commercials. Time with the show of your choice. Time for a truly pleasurable viewing experience. Wow. When did I get to be such an, well, American? Yikes. DVRs are beeyouteeful.

Anyway, flash forward to tonight where Sean Penn is larger than life on my HD screen. He is on Oprah's After-Oscar Party show (skillfully recorded earlier in the day). Sleepless and submitting words to the gracious billionaire host, I watch him comment on his best actor win for Milk. I am happy for the movie. It is a great moment for the movement. There is, however, another moment I notice. My 'I cannot believe someone else in this universe feels the same way I do' moment. Oprah asks him what it really felt like to be on stage delivering his acceptance speech. He said something like, "Oh that. That's just bubble time."

Yes. That's right. Bubble time. The reason why I created this blog. To describe and define my bubble times. My bubble essences. The moments in life that are so undescribably spectacular. Watching my shoe cross the marathon finish line. Holding my breath before I jump head first out of an airplane. Giving a speech to 500 sales people in a Vegas hotel. Those are some of my bubble times. And I am selfish. I want more. Not just for me but for everyone around me. Bubble times are not always flashy but they are the best of the best.

Here I sit. Browsing through previous posts. I search. I cannot find it. Not really even a drop of it. My bubble essences are missing in action. The moments I co-create that touch other hearts and not just mine. THAT is what makes life worth living for me. A lessson I am still learning to embrace. This random series of events is pushing me back to my direction.