5.18.2009

Making Peace with Pessimists

It is time to make this clear. I am an eternal optimist. I seek the silver lining, the cup half full, the experience most desirable and try to focus on the end goal and how we can achieve that together.

There are, however, a group of folks that forever see me as living in a dream and out of touch with reality. The not so elusive pessimist. Linus cloud syndrome. Stating 'reality' can be a common tactic for a professional pessimist but let me be clear that pragmatists are a different breed. What I mean is the ability to, without reservation, imagine all the bad things that can happen to people, to themselves, to a plan, to the world.

I find myself exasperated when I am being judged by a pessimist. How dare you? I am here trying to make the world a better place and you are solely interested in figuring out how it won't be. Interesting conundrum - I judge them for judging me. But, being true to form, I am determined to find the good in pessimists.


Five Reasons to Value Pessimists
  1. Pessimists identify problems. Sometimes I am so busy seeing the good that I miss an obstacle that needs overcoming.

  2. Pessimists clarify value. Their reasons why not help me to clarify why my idea is good and should be implemented.

  3. Pessimists provide motivation. I feel an extra surge of energy when all hope is lost.

  4. Pessimists identify mistakes. A professional pessimist will continuously point out what I am doing wrong. This helps me improve my skill set for the future.

  5. Pessimists provoke. There are times and I know for some of you this will be very difficult to believe *not* when I get so attached to an idea or a way of doing things that I cling to it fervently in the face of pessimistic assault. These torturous attack methods assist me in remembering to detach and let go.

Okay. I had hoped the list would be ten reasons strong. Some of you did not think I could do it at all. Some of you thought it would be much easier and I fell short. What I need to remember now is to READ THIS LIST when the pessimists come a knockin' on my cubicle door.